Monday, May 11, 2009

Sweet Jam Session w/ Trey Anastasio & Warren Haynes

Testing embedding. This is a super-cool jam session video Waylon sent me.

Too cool! It works!

If, like me, and not up on Warren Haynes, he's famous for his work with Gov't Mule and Allman Brothers Band. Allman Brothers Band incidentally can take large credit for my return to music. Playing Guitar Hero, I came to appreciate how cool the slide work on "Ramblin' Man" is, so I scurried to Guitar Center to pick up a copy of the Allman Brothers Band Guitar translations. Unfortunately, GC didn't have AB translations! After an hour of scouring Greatest Hits and Fake Books (not to mention tearing my hair out trying to keep the kids under control whilst I undertook this tedious task), I found the Hal Leanord Fake Book. I played Ramblin' Man for all of about a half-hour and got bored. Fortunately, HL's is a treasure trove of great tunes with good enough transcriptions to work with.

If, for some reason you've been circling Mars for the past 15 years (or not, given the nature of the bands grass roots following), you missed Trey Anastasio and Phish inheriting the huge cult following of the Greatful Dead. My first exposure was "Weigh" from the 1993 Rift album. That's all it took to get me hooked, but the whole album is solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment